Thursday, December 31, 2009

Merry New Year!



Ahhh . . . New Years Eve, my favorite. What other night of the year can you enjoy five hours of the Three Stooges?? Easily the best, most quotable tv show ever made (sorry Seinfeld, you are a close second).

The Stooges Marathon has been around since I was old enough to remember. It’s an institution, especially in my family. If you can’t recall and recite massive amounts of Stooges lines you are missing out on inside jokes and general camaraderie between the men folk of the family. I am getting away from the point; but I do have 2 beefs with the current implementation of the marathon.

1) The spacing of episodes

Back in the days they used to cram 2 episodes into a 30 minute show on Saturday mornings. The most recent marathons have been creeping to the 1 episode per 30 minute timespan. This isn’t for lack of material though. From 1934-1947 they made 97 episodes with the A-Team of Moe, Larry & Curly. After Shemp took over they cranked out another 77 episodes from 1947-1956. 174 episodes is more than enough to give me more than one every 30 minutes. I can live with the above. This leads me to the dreaded Number 2 . . .

2) The Andelmans



I am sure they are great guys and fun to be around yada yada yada but they are such hams on camera that it makes it brutal to enjoy my beloved Stooges. Their segments are waaaay too long and its all about them. Stop pushing all your Phantom Gourmet propaganda on me when I’m hammering Chinese food and mixed drinkees. I want my hosts/hostesses to keep the jibber jabber to a minimum; unless of course you are talking ABOUT the Stooges. Give me my man Dan Justin any day of the week. These guys have made my Tivo worth every penny.

But I do not have to worry about the hams this year! My new best friend AMC is rolling out a marathon of their own. 5 hours on Channel 38 or whatever you call yourselves these days? HA! AMC is cranking out 23 hours of Nyuks starting at 7am this morning. Only a knucklehead would watch the other guys. Enjoy and have a great New Year Year.



As a salute to AMC, here are some classic quotes:



Curly: “"Let's play post office."
Woman: "That's a kid's game."
Curly: "Not the way I play it."

- - -

General: "He's known as 'Bloodhound Filbert', and he can smell a spy a mile away."
Curly: "I'm glad he can't smell 'em any closer."

- - -

Dean: "Mildew has a lovely student body."
Moe: "Your's wouldn't be so bad either if you took off about 20 pounds."

- - -

Moe (to Larry): "You know Porcupine, for a guy without brains you're a genius."


---

1 comment: